At all times, surrounded by great people were advisers and inspires. Our time is no exception. These people can be called differently: coach, consultant, assistant, adviser or business coach for managers. Many companies most often turn to a coach with a one-time task, while international corporations hire specialists on a permanent basis.
The profession of a coach for top management is somewhat different from similar work with staff. The similarity lies in the fact that customers are helped to improve business efficiency, solve problems related to their business, and increase company profits.
The difference is that the activity of the business coach is sharpened to work with the business, no matter how obvious it sounds. It helps to improve the work of the company, update business strategies, and improve the overall efficiency of the enterprise.
In turn, the coach aims to work more deeply and personalized. Here the focus is on the development of the client’s personality, the elimination of his psychological barriers, and the achievement of personal goals. As a result, this type of coaching also leads to an increase in the company’s profits, but indirectly.
Who is a business coach for top management? This is a person who helps to develop some specific qualities of a manager, to grow personally in him and to be a motivator for his employees. The chapter should always be an example for the team. A wise leader never stops developing, because he needs to transfer his knowledge to the team.
The coaching process goes through three stages of work with the personal goals of the manager:
Why do you need a business coach for an experienced manager? To assist in self-development and achievement of goals. These five useful books for the head are also great helpers for personal growth. Read and develop!
Business Coach for Executives
- Determine the exact career path, based on the interests and goals of the client. Especially important for novice top managers who are important not to get lost in the maze of career opportunities.
- Understand the purpose of the client. Cooperation with a business coach is quite personal and built on trust. This person can help to understand their desires and goals. Often it happens that experienced managers lose interest in their work, looking for new areas of activity. A business coach is a great helper for such a search.
- Increase personal effectiveness. In this type of coaching, the client sets himself goals and develops strategies for achieving them, analyzes his decisions and performance. The business coach observes and participates in the process, corrects the behavioral and professional strategies of the leader.
- To teach new skills. For example, the leader needs to learn how to make presentations, keep the attention of the meeting participants, conduct serious negotiations, speak in public. The task of a business coach is to transfer or develop the necessary skills to a certain level.
- Engage in the personal development of the client. If the previous type of coaching can be quite short-term, then this task is broader and more strategic. This is a profound transformation of personal qualities, client deficiencies. The focus may be such questions: “How to do everything?”, “How to work with unpleasant people?”, “How to dismiss people?”, “How to motivate yourself?”
- “Expand” the head of the staff. Often, a top manager is lonely at his top. The staff puts an invisible wall between themselves and the management if they feel a haughty attitude or are constantly in fear of getting a fine. Much in this situation depends on the manager himself. How to join the team and not lose the necessary respect? How to win over people, but not to lose credibility? How to make you listen without a tone of authority? All these questions will be answered by a business coach.
- Train the client in business coaching skills. More and more business areas are moving away from the standard “boss-slave” approach. Elements of coaching, mentoring are increasingly used in such areas as IT, media, consulting. In some companies, job descriptions of top managers involve coaching employees, and the responsibilities of HR specialists include coaching managers and managers.
- Teach to share work and personal time. Managing a position is always a huge responsibility and work. As a rule, real workaholics, fans of their work, get into top management. It comes to the fact that people are not able to disconnect from work, work seven days a week and experience enormous loads. How is a business coach useful in this situation? This person must be a good psychologist and be able to ask the right questions. He is able to remind of the transience of life and that behind the windows of an office a person is also awaited by his interests. Without rest and a balance between the worker and the personal, the manager’s performance is drastically reduced.
A business coach for executives gets access to very personal information about people for whom reputation is far from just a word. Therefore, all communication with the coach must be completely confidential.
Classes in most cases take place in several stages (coaching sessions). The entire program is discussed at a preliminary meeting, where goals, deadlines for their implementation and all terms of cooperation are defined.
As a rule, sessions are held within the framework of individual meetings, but sometimes a business coach accompanies the client to meetings, presentations, and negotiations. The bottom line is that the client must be able to receive constant feedback, sometimes instantly.
From time to time, business coaches use group classes for top management.
Continuous work on yourself and personal growth, setting goals and achieving them are essential elements of a good leader. After receiving the director’s chair, everything is just beginning!