Understanding the Licensing Laws of Park Home Living

Legislation dating back to 1960 has governed the licensing of park home sites and was updated most recently in 2013 via the Mobile Homes Act.

Image Credit

Under the law, mobile home parks must have a licence provided by the local authority in whose area they operate. The council requires that the owner of the site has planning permission relating to the use of the location, meets specific safety standards and provides rules for the use of the site by visitors and residents.


Purchasers of a park home will be keen to ensure that the site owner is compliant with the legislation, and at a viewing should be able to confirm this since a copy of the licence should be displayed clearly on site. This may be on a notice board or, subject to the licence agreement, in the offices on site. The local authority issuing the licence will also hold a copy which is available to the public for viewing.

Wherever a potential purchaser is looking at park homes for sale Gloucester is a popular destination, and options can be found at sites such as http://www.parkhomelife.com/ among others.

Image Credit

For site owners, other issues arise from the legislation. Where a mixed site is operated, including holiday lets and residential occupation, it is important to ensure that the appropriate licence is in place and suitable planning permission has been acquired.


Maintaining regular contact with the licensing authority is also important for site operators. Local authorities can, and do, review conditions relating to the site and add requirements. It is vital to regularly discuss the licence with the relevant authority to avoid any breach of the regulations.

Since the new law came into effect in 2014, many local councils have increased the number of visits to sites. This can result in a smoother relationship for site owners, but only if they are fully complying with the terms of their licence.

These visits may result in changes to the licensing conditions, but site owners have the right to challenge any amendments suggested within 28 days after notice of change has been received. The First Tier Tribunal rather than the Magistrates Court is now the first port of call if a dispute emerges.

Most local authorities work closely with site owners, but maintaining a good relationship with them is key.


Hi, I am Russell Chowdhury; I am an entrepreneur, father, mentor and adventurer passionate about life. At this moment, I am working with depression and anxiety; here is my blogs how to recover from anxiety and how to fight with anxiety. I hope everyone will like my blogs.

Related posts

Leave a Comment